Monday, October 22, 2007

Dear Abby

HE LOVES ME, HE LOVES ME NOT (but he totally loves me)

I was dating this guy, I’ll call him “Ryan”, at work who was totally obsessed with me, then got promoted and moved away. I wanted him back so I told him that I was dating lots of other guys (black guys mostly) and also that I was pregnant (total lie) and keeping it. Then, for no reason at all, he gets totally upset that I lied to him about being pregnant. Suddenly, out of nowhere, he says we are never going out again. I don’t get it. Then I started dating “Darrel” who works in the warehouse. We are totally in love, but he wants to spend time with another woman. I told him “you have to make a choice. It’s either your daughter or me.” He picked his daughter, but I know he didn’t mean it. I told him I need to know where this is going and he said “you need to access your un-crazy side.” Darrel is the most complicated man I have ever met. I mean, who says exactly what they’re thinking? What kind of game is that?

Sincerely,


Crazy in Love Kelly

4 comments:

Abby said...

Dear Crazy in Love Kelly,

It sounds like you are caught between a rock and a hard place. Your heart is torn between two very different men and that is a rough place to be, believe me, I know. But, dear, you'd better sit down because I am about to dish out what we in the psychology business call "tough love."
(1) Stop playing games. Games of the heart hurt everyone. No more pretending to be pregnant (besides, statistics have indicated a decline in the success rate of that particular ploy; this is not the 1950s -- who's to say that there aren't already several little Ryans running around, whose mothers are as single as they ever were?);
(2) You're going to have to choose. It's not fair to keep Ryan and Darrell dangling on a thread, playing their jealousies off each other while you laugh at their pain. Fun but not fair. You're going to have to choose -- and, although, I know you want me to, I can't tell you which to pick. Only you can know the true beat of your heart: does it seek the savvy, somewhat selfish man-in-management, quickly rising to success and paper company stardom; or the solid, sweet, family man from the warehouse, with whom you'll always know -- sometimes a little too clearly -- where you stand? Only you can know.
So, as Darrell so poignantly put it, access your un-crazy side and make a choice.

Abby

Kris Tina said...

Dear Kelly,

I really can't top Abby's response. I really can't. So instead, I suggest that maybe you need to try and get in touch with your religious self. I mean, honestly, you really should learn more about your culture.

Todd said...

Crazy in Love Kelly says:

Well, after Ryan said we are never going out again I decided that he just doesn't appreciate me enough so I broke up with him. I'm going to keep going out with Darrel. (That will make Ryan so jealous he will BEG me to take him back.) Even thought Darrel is selfish, he is going to realize that his daughter is old news and I'm the one he wants to spend all of his time with.

Abby said...

Well, Kelly, I can see that you did not access your "un-crazy" side; perhaps because you don't actually have one.

Poor Darrel. Poor, poor, Darrel.