Monday, December 10, 2007

When they met…it was MURDER! (or How Life Is Like an Episode of Hart to Hart)

Recently the Carlklef Chronicles had an informative, yet controversial, post about Chili’s. Everyone seemed to have strong opinions regarding the food, service, and atmosphere one can expect to find at this eating establishment. Some people seemed to have a less than stellar experience at one time or another. I, on the other hand, have fond memories of Chili’s, particularly of the O’Hare airport Chili’s. This is where I first met Ross. Fond memories, indeed.
As you may already know, Kitty and I are practically life-long friends having known each other from our days of working together at PRA during her all too short career in medical research. We did everything together, from attending lame social work gatherings to touring the zoo for another lame social work gathering. The zoo trip also involved Kitty’s imaginary boyfriend at the time. (I say imaginary because she claims he existed, yet I don’t remember him at all.) Perhaps doing research opened her eyes to all of the potential lawsuits and she thought…hmmm, I should be an ambulance chaser. Whatever it was, she decided to leave her friends and her career at PRA and head to law school at BYU.
Now, you’d think that being a law student would be rather demanding and not leave any time for a social life. Not true for Kitty. She met a guy who she later tricked into marrying her. That guy was Ross. I remember hearing about him and getting an engagement announcement with photo. I even received an invitation to a post-wedding reception. I was not, however, invited to the wedding. Kitty claims it was because non-Mormons aren’t allowed in the Tabernacle. (Or could it be that I was the one that “got away” and it would have been too painful for her to see me there? I guess we’ll never know.) Anyway, Kitty was still in law school and needed to prep for finals so they took a short honeymoon and got right back to the books. A big trip to Spain was planned for the day after graduation.
Despite snubbing me with the wedding invite, Kitty and I remained friends and she said, “hey, Todd, why don’t you come to Spain with me and Ross.” So then I said, “sure, why not.” We planned and planned…well Ross planned. Suddenly, Kitty graduated and the next day the trip began.
I had not yet met Ross at this time. He and Kitty were in SLC and I was in KC. We were to meet up in Chicago and then fly to Madrid. I landed in Chicago first, or so I thought, and waited for them to arrive and call me. I even looked to see which gate would come in at and headed that way to meeting them. Along the way I was walking past the airport Chili’s enjoying the savory aromas when what to my wondering eyes should appear…Kitty. She was sitting with some man, who I did not know, ready to enjoy a delicious meal. Well, I stomped right over there and said, “what the freak? Were you just going to eat without me and leave me for dead?” I’m not sure of the precise wording of her response, but I’m sure it was something along the lines of “yes, yes I was”. Amid the awkwardness of the situation Kitty introduced Ross and I, and the honeymoon began and lasted for the next 11 days. We spent about a solid 24 hours together between the flight (which landed at 7:30am) and the whole day touring Madrid checking things out.
Anyone that has been around Kitty and me at the same time knows that it is a wild ride of delightful entertainment that never gets old. At the end of the day we went to our separate rooms. Well, I did. Ross and Kitty bunked together. Once they were alone, the first thing Ross said to Kitty was “wow, Todd really gets away with a lot”. Of course the next morning the first thing Ross said to Kitty was “just close your eyes, it’ll all be fine” when the alarm clock went off. Ross has a lot of good quotes on that trip. The next week and a half Ross enjoyed eating sandwiches and what he referred to as “herding a couple of cats (or loud Americans)”.
So that is how Ross and I met. No one was ever murdered so I guess it really isn’t all that much like an episode of Hart to Hart. But you do have to admit that was a great show and they should really thing of bring it back.

22 comments:

Kris Tina said...

For the record:
1) We did not do anything together. You were always "too cool" for me. Sometimes us fun people at PRA would get lucky and you would grace us with your presence. But not very often. You were always too busy hanging out with your PRA BF's. BF's like Jackie D. and Kris W. (you know the lady who tells everyone inappropriate things in the breakroom).
2) My "bad boy" boyfriend, Trevor, totally did exist KC. You just were too jealous and so preferred to screen it out.
3) I'm sure I have more to say - I'll have to come back to it after doing some thinking . . . and some work. Some people have to work for a living, you know.

Todd said...

Doing some thinking??? Don't you mean doing some making-things-up?
And I think it was you who never had time for me. You were always hanging out in Sherri's office asking her for hair styling tips.

Todd said...

Also, that fateful day of Ross and the ToddCat's first encounter was April 29, 2006, just in case any of you were wondering and wanted to get us a gift (which should be sent directly to me).

Kris Tina said...

Also, for the record, I was going to call you at the airport to meet up. I just wanted to enjoy those few moments of alone time that I had with Ross before letting the onslaught of you begin - and I figured chili's was the perfect place for our last meal.

Todd said...

I am terribly hurt that Ross has not bothered to comment on my poetic description of our first encounter. It's as if he doesn't care. I wish Dear Abby could tell me what Ross' big fat problem is that he doesn't comment.

Lindy said...

I would like to point out that KT criticizes and criticizes Chili's, yet she chose it for her and Ross's "last meal" together before Toddcat came a spiced things up. I don't know what they call that in Chicago, but in Texas we call that hypocrisy!

Abby said...

Dear Todd,

I woke up this morning -- and by woke up I mean, woke out of the Judicial Building Christmas brunch-induced haze that had overtaken me -- to your distant, almost inaudible, and yet unmistakeable voice calling from across the moors, "Dear Abby, Dear Abby." (I think perhaps I'm still in Bronte-land. Ah, Todd, if only you could be my Mr. Rochester -- although I don't particularly want you to become maimed and go temporarily blind from trying to save your crazy wife, who set the house on fire.) Anyway, on to business.

Todd, I can understand that you feel hurt and neglected by Ross's failure to comment on this very beautiful post, honoring your friendship. May I make two suggestions?

First, be patient. You know Ross. He is a good person. Perhaps he is just overwhelmed by work and by his heavy responsibility as discussion leader for The Finer Things Book Club. Give him time and I'm sure he will find a way to express his feelings about the post. Trust in his goodness and your friendship. Remember: hurry and haste are the precursors to resentment and regret.

Second, let Ross know how you feel -- kindly and without anger or sarcasm. Try to avoid guilt-trips or blaming him for anything; stick to how his actions, whether intentionally negligent or not, made you feel. Remember: clear and consistent communication is the keystone to a healthy relationship.

Hope your holidays are joyful.

Your friend,
Abby

Todd said...

Dear Abby,

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. I would like to follow your advice, but I don't know how to go about ripping Ross a new one for his cruel neglect if I don't use anger and sarcasm to demonstrate what a bad impression he is making. It seems as though Ross and I are at a delicate stage of our friendship where emotions are raw and his silence is only adding fuel to the fire that is my rage. What good can come of this I ask you? If Ross does not respond soon I don't see how I can be held responsible for my own voluntary actions that I so willingly choose to act upon.

Kris Tina said...

Lindy - when you find yourself in the O'Hare airport there are few options. And as I have said previously . . . in a pinch these places are great. We were in a PINCH. A PINCH I SAY!

Todd said...

Kitty, who do you think you're kidding? There are lots of top notch dining options in the O'Hare airport...Cinnabun, Auntie Anne's Pretzels...the list is endless. It seems to me that you craved a Chili's meal before boarding that international flight knowing full well it could be your last meal ever. And you didn't even call to invite me to dine with you. That's what really hurts. Although, I have to admit, you and Ross forced to me eat with you at a lot of crappy sandwich counters in Spain. A LOT! If I never see another ham and cheese sandwich again it will be too soon.

Kris Tina said...

OH let's be honest. I didn't force you to eat those sandwiches. . . Ross forced us both. Just last week Ross was eating some of that "special Spain ham" and he said, "Oh how I miss those bocadillas. I could have eaten one at every meal." I then was required to remind him. . . "Um Ross we did!"

Todd said...

We certainly did, until I put my foot down and said "I am not eating another one of those D ham sandwiches" and we at at Hard Rock Cafe.

Shana said...

I recall being forced to eat something horrible recently, based solely on Ross' suggestion. I see a trend here. Also, may I say that Ross may still say "He sure gets away with a lot" speaking of Todd of course, because of the tight leash that Ross is kept on. That is why Ross and Kitty have a model marriage.

Kris Tina said...

Shana, What did you eat that was horrible? I am intrigued. Was it the DP with cherry and chocolate? Because as I recall - you said "delicious!" My marriage to Ross is quite exemplary. Probably because he picks me up from work everyday and the first thing he says to me is "give me all your money." This way I know that he will provide for all my needs and I don't need to carry around foolish things . . . such as credit cards or cash.

Lindy said...

KT--you are so fortunate to have such a masculist for a husband. My husband still lets me manage not only my money but his. It's barbaric. Also, he lets me wear pants on Fridays. Can you believe that? I've never done it, but I'm allowed to.

Todd said...

You know, I don't appreciate the way the two of you, Kitty and Lindy, have twisted the blog commenting to be about yourselves and your husband problems. I have my own problem to worry about and its name is Ross. He continues to ignore me. What gives? Apparently, I was nothing more to him than a buffer on his honeymoon. I difused that uncomfortable situation for him and now it's as if he has no use for me. Well let me tell you, Ross, this friendship is a two way street. I can't keep commenting and commenting without getting comments back in return, but if that is what it will take to prove my dedication then that is exactly what I'm going to do.

Kris Tina said...

Oh Todd don't you know . . . Ross, like Lucille, "gets off withholding!"

Greg said...

Now with some distance from the event, I have finally realized that the moment in Chilies just before Todd joined us was my last happy moment.

Todd said...

Wow, Ross. That statement really packs a punch. Not for me, but for Kitty. I mean, you only spend 11 days with me and an occasional weekend since then. It's Kitty that you see day after day after day so if you have not been happy for the last year and a half since that day at the airport Chili's....I don't even want to think what that says about your marriage. Kitty, I'm so sorry you had to find our Ross' true feelings this way. I think maybe you should try to get on the Dr. Phil show to repair the damage before it's too late.

Shana said...

It was that blasted banana something. It tasted like it had been smashed in the peel and then left to rot for a week. Ross not only gobbled up his, but mine and almost everyone else's in the eating establishment. Todd may recall.

Todd said...

Ah, yes. It was the plantains at the Columbian restaurant the Ross dragged us to. I like the plantains, but did not so much like the thing that looked like a giant deep fried octopus tentacle.

e.g. said...

I just happened across your blog from a few random clicks (getting her from Kris Tina and Greg's blog).

You have no idea who I am, and I don't know you, but I have to say that, from an outsider's perspective, I think the relationship you and "Kitty" have is a bit twisted. I'm kind of surprised you would have joined them in Spain (even if you were invited).

Anyway, have you ever thought about getting your own significant other...besides one that's married?