Friday, September 28, 2007

Let's play Scruples

A good friend on mine (who is completely unaware this blog exists) recently found himself in a bit of a pickle that I thought everyone should know about. Immediately after the alleged events transpired he sent this email to a group of friends to get their take on the situation. These are his words, not mine; however, your feedback should be your own, not stolen from someone else like I am doing. For whatever reason, this reminded me of the classic board game Scruples, but maybe I don't have the most accurate recollection of how that game worked.
____________________
I just got back to my desk after encountering what I deem to be a ‘new classic’ social dilemma. I’m in the restroom, about to finish up my morning business. A guy enters the stall next to me and starts his business. 5 seconds later, his cell phone rings. He answers.

Now, I’m in a tight spot. This is work. I’m not sure if the call is work-related, or what. I decide one thing immediately. I can’t flush. That would potentially out the dude for taking calls in the john. However, as I’m finished now myself, what do I do next?

I figure I have three choices:
(1) I sit back down and wait for him to finish and eavesdrop on his entire conversation. (Somewhat creepy…)
(2) I whisper over the wall and see if he’ll flush for me. (Extremely creepy…)
(3) I go wash my hands and get the hell out of there. (Not creepy, but just gross. Remember, we’re in an un-flushed situation here…)

Of course, I opt for option 3. Sure, someone will have to take care of flushing for me, which is something I absolutely can’t stand, but I didn’t like the other options.

What would you have done???
_____________________
So there you have it. I want to know WW_D? (Enter your initial in the blank)

5 comments:

Kris Tina said...

I would have made a racquet and a half. That man has no business, no business whatsoever talking on the cell phone in the bathroom. Now, I can't say that I have never talked to anyone in the bathroom but NEVER the public bathroom and really the only person who I will talk to in the bathroom is my mom. So I guess that means either I just shared too much information or my mom has seen it all.

Todd said...

Well she's certainly heard it all. That's for sure.

Abby said...

That is a seriously tough spot. I think I'm with KTC--someone needs to teach that guy a lesson. Just think of the ripple effects of such poor cell phone manners on (1) the unsuspecting person on the other end of the conversation -- who wants the sudden mental image that would arise when you heard the toilet flush and realized that the innocent conversation you'd just been having was not so innocent after all; (2) the person, like your friend, in the stall next door who suddenly finds themselves in that terribly awkward and embarrassing situation; (3) the person on the receiving end of your friend's rock-and-the-hard-place choice not to flush; and it could go on...[but to y'all's relief, I won't]

Greg said...

Flush away. If a person is so important that they have to take calls while behind the swinging door, they can certainly deal with the consequences. In this case, a flush is more important than not outing this co-worker's nasty habits. My question is how do you get your wife to stop chatting with her mother while in the bathroom?

Todd said...

Well, I'd say start making lots of conspicuous noises while she is on the phone and throne, but I'm guessing Kitty is already making plenty of those noises herself.